FLOYD CULLER: DIRECTED WITH HIS BOOTS ON
Acting Laboratory Director Floyd Culler came to Oak Ridge in 1943 from Johns Hopkins University. He worked at the Y-12 Plant during the war and joined the Laboratory in 1947 as design engineer for nuclear-fuel recycling plants. Rising through the ranks, he became section chief and later director of the Chemical Technology Division.
Culler managed the Laboratory's development of solvent extraction and other processes for recovery of uranium, plutonium, and fission products from spent nuclear fuels. His team established nuclear-fuel reprocessing techniques used worldwide.
Culler served as the Laboratory's assistant and later associate director for nuclear technology in 1964 and as its deputy director from 1970 to 1977. When Alvin Weinberg retired in 1972, Culler was appointed acting Laboratory director. In 1977, he moved to California to become president of the prestigious Electric Power Research Institute.
Often described as a "muddy boots type," Culler enjoyed working directly with craftsmen and with the people of Oak Ridge.
Active in the community, he chaired the Oak Ridge Regional Planning Commission, which was responsible for the alphabetical naming of the city's streets and helped govern the community before it was incorporated.
Related Web sites