Graphite Reactor

Graphite Reactor control room and logbook.
Graphite Reactor control room and logbook.
Fuel Slug and Lucite with sign saying Graphite Reactor - AEC, 1943-1966, Dedicated as a National Historic Landmark, September 13, 1966.
TNX building and stack 105, 3001 Graphite Reactor, and 2006 building, July 14, 1943. Originally DOE Roll 44-9.
Girl Scouts on a field trip near the Graphite Reactor, June 9, 1951. Originally DOE 6994-2.
Girl Scouts on field trip near the Graphite Reactor, June 9, 1951. Originally DOE 6994-1.
Waldo Cohn and Barker insert a sample into a graphite stringer tray which is then pushed into the Graphite Reactor for irradiation. Same picture as History 284.
C. Shull, neutron scattering using Diffractometer at Graphite Reactor
Fuel slug ejected from Graphite Reactor
First atomic power plant at X-10 Graphite Reactor, September 3, 1948.
First Atomic Power Plant at X-10 Graphite Reactor, September 3, 1948.
ORNL NEWS - The shutdown of the Graphite Reactor for the last time was observed by many ORNL staff members, former collegues, and officials of the AEC and UCC, November 4, 1963.
ORNL NEWS - The crowd which gathered to watch the shutdown of the historic Graphite Reactor filled the old pile building to overflowing, November 4, 1963.
ORNL NEWS - The shutdown of the Graphite Reactor for the last time was observed by many ORNL staff members, former collegues, and officials of the AEC and UCC, November 4, 1963.
X-10 Clinton Engineer Works, Loading Face of Pile, Graphite Reactor
X-10 Graphite Reactor Main Control, Pile Operation, Clinton Engineer Works
Man working at the Graphite Reactor Loading Face.
X-10 Graphite Reactor, concrete loading face
X-10 Graphite Reactor
Aerial View of Clinton Engineer Works, original ORNL site, including the Graphite Reactor and the 100 and 200 Process Areas, October 1943. First facility in the X-10 area.
Removal of Shielding Plug, with Constant Air Monitor and Cutie Pie Radiation Detector, Graphite Reactor
TNX Building, Graphite Reactor, Clinton Engineer Works, 11/9/43
Visitors, X-10 Graphite Reactor
On September 13, 1966, X-10 Graphite Reactor was designated a Registered National Historic Landmark, 1966.
ORNL HISTORY PHOTO - Tour guide with visitors at the X-10 Graphite Reactor.
ORNL HISTORY PHOTO - Ceremony for the Graphite Reactor to be designated as a National Historic Landmark, 1966.
ORNL HISTORY - On September 13, 1966, the X-10 Graphite Reactor was designated a Registered National Historic Landmark.
X-10 Graphite Reactor designated National Historic Landmark, 1966
ORNL HISTORY PHOTO - Graphite Reactor designated National Historic Landmark, 1966
Tour guide with visitors at the X-10 Graphite Reactor.
Visitors, X-10 Graphite Reactor
Material to Make Radioisotopes Removed from Graphite Reactor
ORNL HISTORY PHOTO - Visitor at the Graphite Reactor
Visitors register on the logbook at the X-10 Graphite Reactor.
Graphite Reactor and Smokestacks
Fuel loading display at the X-10 Graphite Reactor.
Visitors, X-10 Graphite Reactor
X-10 Graphite Reactor Ceremony
Cutie Pie Radiation Detector, Graphite Reactor
Cutie Pie Radiation Detector, Graphite Reactor
ORNL History Photo - Radiation Detector, Graphite Reactor. Originally numbered DOE PHOTO 1870-9.
X-10 Graphite Reactor Ceremony
Workers use a long rod to push uranium slugs into the concrete loading face of the Graphite Reactor. Image same as ORNL History 68.
Operator McKay, Control Room, Graphite Reactor
X-10 Graphite Reactor visitors and loading face
Control panel, X-10 Graphite Reactor
Control panel, X-10 Graphite Reactor
Removing highly radioactive material from Graphite Reactor
Concrete face of the Graphite Reactor, X-10.
ORNL HISTORY PHOTO - Bill Jernigan putting slug in loading face, Graphite Reactor.
Workers use a long rod to push uranium slugs into the concrete loading face of the Graphite Reactor. Image same as ORNL History 323.
ORNL HISTORY PHOTO - Two men loading uranium slugs into the concrete face of the Graphite Reactor, X-10.
Visitors with Tour Guide, X-10 Graphite Reactor
Workers use a long rod to push uranium slugs into the concrete loading face of the Graphite Reactor.
Graphite Reactor control room logbook.
People standing at the Graphite Reactor loading face.
Equipment, Graphite Reactor
Three men are using a Push Rod to eject slugs at the X-10 Pile, Graphite Reactor
Waldo Cohn and Barker insert a sample into a graphite stringer tray which is then pushed into the Graphite Reactor for irradiation. Same picture as History 10.
Graphite Reactor Log book, reads - In this log book the first entry CRITICALLY REACHED was made November 4, 1943 at 5:00am. Thus was recorded the beginning of the initial self-sustained fission chain reaction in the world's first continuously operating nuclear reactor.
Tongs withdraw irradiated material from Graphite Reactor stringer tray
The First Nuclear Reactor Operating Controls, Graphite Reactor
X-10 Graphite Reactor Designated National Historic Landmark, 1966
Toy engine that used heat from the Graphite Reactor to demonstrate that nuclear power could generate electricity, September 3, 1948.
X-10 Graphite Reactor. Mannequin workers use a long rod to push uranium slugs into the concrete loading face of the reactor. Same image as ORNL History 5.
ORNL HISTORY PHOTO - Logan Emlet of the Laboratory Operations Division inspects the toy engine that used heat from the Graphite Reactor to demonstrate that nuclear power could generate electricity, September 3, 1948.
With the Graphite Reactor shut down, these ORNL employees remove cans of irradiated material from the reactor (pile). Man at left holds a Cutie Pie radiation detector to the monitor level of radioactivity while fellow employee uses tongs to transfer the hot material to a lead-lined safe for transport to a chemical processing area.
ORNL NEWS - The shutdown of the Graphite Reactor for the last time was observed by many ORNL staff members, former collegues, and officials of the AEC and UCC, November 4, 1963.
ORNL NEWS - The shutdown of the Graphite Reactor for the last time was observed by many ORNL staff members, former collegues, and officials of the AEC and UCC, November 4, 1963.
ORNL HISTORY IMAGE - Graphite Reactor Registered National Historic Landmark, September 13,1966, commemorative medalion and slug
ORNL HISTORY IMAGE - Graphite Reactor designated National Historic Landmark, 1966
ORNL HISTORY IMAGE - Graphite Reactor designated National Historic Landmark, 1966
Visitors watch a demonstration near the Graphite Reactor Loading Face - Fuel Loading display.
The helium gas refrigerator for Low Temperature Irradiation Facility at ORNL Graphite Reactor, with J. Rudman, R. Noggle, R. Coltman, and T. Blewitt, December 1955.
ORNL NEWS PHOTO - Herbert Pomerance uses a washing machine mechanism (called the pile oscillator) to oscillate materials in and out of the Graphite Reactor for neutron irradiation.
Mr. McClain holding plug, standing in front of the loading face at the Graphite Reactor.
ORNL History Photo - On August 2, 1946, the world's first radioactive isotope produced for medical use was withdrawn from Oak Ridge's Graphite Reactor. Oak Ridge scientists shipped this carbon 14 to Brand Free Skin and Cancer Hospital in St. Louis. Cutie Pie Radiation Detector. Originally numbered DOE PHOTO 1870-22.
ORNL History Photo - Removing Radioacive Material from Tray in Graphite Reactor. Originally numbered DOE PHOTO 1870-6, August 2, 1946..
ORNL HISTORY PHOTO - E. Wollan and C. Shull conducted some of the world's first neutron scattering experiments using this diffractometer, installed at the Graphite Reactor in 1950.