Media Contact: Fred Strohl (firstname.lastname@example.org)|
Communications and External Relations
Veterans related firms honored at Small Business luncheon
OAK RIDGE, Tenn.,
March 17, 2006
Two small businesses owned by U.S. military veterans were recognized for their accomplishments today at the Seventh Annual Small Business Subcontractor Awards program, sponsored by the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Quality Waste Solutions, LLC earned the Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business Award while Strata-G was presented with the Veteran-Owned Small Business Award.
Theresa Alvillar-Speake, director of the Department of Energy's Office of Minority Economic Impact and Diversity, was the keynote speaker.
Quality Waste Solutions provides subcontracting services to DOE for off-site disposal of low-level radioactive waste. Strata-G provides ORNL with transportation technical services, waste generation forecasting and analysis, expertise for pollution prevention opportunity assessments and other environmental compliance activities.
Other awards presented included:
Small Business Awards
• Haselwood Services & Manufacturing, Inc., a woman-owned, small business that provides ORNL with technical and business services, project management and construction operations management and oversight.
• Melange Solutions, LLC, a provider of laboratory systems integration, technology consulting and software development services.
Small Disadvantaged Business Awards
• Enterprise Advisory Services, which has managed the American Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge since 1995.
• Innovative Design, Inc., a consulting firm specializing in the engineering disciplines of mechanical, machine design, structural processes and piping.
Woman-Owned Business Awards
• Trident Resources Corp., which supports ORNL's International Safeguards program, including development of DOE's additional protocol reporting system. This system is used by all DOE laboratories, as well as DOE headquarters, to streamline identification, review and reporting of declarable nuclear fuel cycle safeguards related to activities of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
• Nutex, Inc., which provides assistance to ORNL's Nonreactor Nuclear Facilities Division.
AVID Small Business Awards
• Wildflower International, Ltd., technical services contributor to ORNL and other federal offices and agencies throughout the nation.
Small Business Program Advocate Awards
• Kathy Collins of ORNL's Contracts Division, who awarded $7.5 million worth of subcontracts to small businesses during the past year. A total of $3.6 million of her purchases was made to small women owned businesses.
• Cecilia Jones of the Contracts Division, who planned and coordinated the first and largest ever ORNL on-site vendor fair for small businesses with an estimated 110 veteran-owned businesses attending. Subcontracting with veteran-owned business increased 400 percent during the six months following the event.
• Jason Piller of the Contracts Division, who awarded $5.2 million worth of contracts to small businesses during the past year.
Historically Black Colleges and Universities Advocate Awards
• Steve Pennycook of ORNL's Materials Science and Technology Division for providing leadership and working with researchers from various Historically Black College and Universities during summer faculty research programs.
• Ted Williams of the Spallation Neutron Source for working with Florida A&M University is establishing a partnership with ORNL.
Three awards were presented to ORNL organizations for their outstanding contributions in support of the ORNL Small Business Program. Receiving the awards were Herb Debban, director of Facilities and Operations Directorate; Nicole Porter, general counsel; and Karen Downer, director of the Environment, Safety, Health and Quality Directorate.
ORNL is managed by UT-Battelle for the Department of Energy.