Olga S. Ovchinnikova
B.S., Physics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 2005
M.S., Chemical Physics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 2007
Ph.D., Chemical Physics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 2011
Graduate Teaching/Research Asst., University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 2006 - 2011
Postdoctoral Associate, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Research Mentor: Dr. Gary J. VanBerkel, 2011 - 2012
Staff Research Scientist, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2012 - Present
focusing Mass Spectrometry Instrumentation
My primary research interests are the development of new research approaches to atmospheric pressure surface sampling mass spectrometry that would allow the study of analytes on surfaces in situ.
Developing and implementing low micrometer to nanometer scale measurements of chemical, physical and temporal processes in materials. Ideally, structural information obtained via mass spectrometry chemical imaging (http://www.ornl.gov/sci/ms_imaging_center/) can be synergistically combined with other spectroscopic data, providing a direct correlation between chemical composition and material functionality.
Development of a multimodal imaging platform that incorporates atomic force microscopy with mass spectrometry for high spatial resolution chemical and mechanical mapping.
Awards and Honors:
2013 Beynon Prize for best publication in
Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry.
2011 Winner of Fowler-Marion Graduate Student Award/
Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Tenn (UTK)
2010 Winner of Poster Competition, ASMS Asilomar Conference
2010 ASMS Asilomar Conference Student Travel Award
2010 Second Place Winner, Sigma Xi Graduate Research Student
2010 Materials Research Society Spring Meeting Student Travel Award
2009 Awarded Jim McConnel Endowment Funding
2006 Graduate Chemical Physics Fellowship/UTK
2006 National Institute of Standards and Technology Graduate Research
2005 Honorable Mention, National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate
2005 Chancellor’s Honors Award for “Outstanding Professional Promise”
for theArts and Science/UTK
2005 Robert Talley Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Leadership/
Dept. of Physics, UTK
2004 George and Hattie Morris Scholarship Endowment Fund
2004 Society of Physics Students (SPS) Outstanding Student Award for
2004 Robert Talley Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Leadership/
Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Tenn.
2004 Winner, Exhibition of Undergraduate Research & Creative;
Achievement, Natural Science Div., UTK
2004 Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship,
2003 NSF/ University of Colorado, Boulder, Summer REU Fellowship
2003 Robert W. Lide Citation for Outstanding Physics Laboratory
Development/ Dept. of Phys., UTK
2003 Society of Physics Students (SPS) and ΣΠΣ Undergraduate
2003 Honorable Mention, American Association for the Advancement of
Science (AAAS) Poster Competition
2002 DOE Energy Research Undergraduate Laboratory Fellowship
Organized Conference Workshop: 3rd International Workshop on
Nanoscale Imaging for Energy Applications, Oak Ridge, TN 2012
American Society for Mass Spectrometry, Member
American Physical Society, Member
Materials Research Society, Member
(13) Lorenz, M., Ovchinnikova, O. S., Van Berkel, G. J. “Fully Automated Laser Ablation Liquid Capture Sample Analysis using NanoElectrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry.” Rapid. Commun. Mass Spectrom, (2014), submitted.
(12) Lorenz, M., Ovchinnikova, O. S., Kertesz, V., Van Berkel, G. J. “Controlled-Resonant Surface Tapping-Mode Scanning Probe Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry Imaging.” Anal. Chem., (2014), DOI: 10.1021/ac404249j.
(11) Ovchinnikova, O .S., Kjoller, K., Hurst, G. B., Pelletier, D. A., Van Berkel, G. J. “Atomic Force Microscope Controlled Topographical Imaging and Proximal Probe Thermal Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry Imaging.” Anal. Chem., (2014), 86, 1083-1090.
(10) Ovchinnikova, O. S., Lorenz, M., Kertesz, V., Van Berkel, G. J. “Laser Ablation Sampling of Materials Directly into the Formed Liquid Microjunction of a Continuous Flow Surface Sampling Probe/Electrospray Ionization Emitter for Mass Spectral Analysis and Imaging.” Anal. Chem., (2013), 85, 10211-10217.
(9) Lorenz, M., Ovchinnikova, O. S., Kertesz, V., Van Berkel, G. J. “Laser Microdissection and Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Ionization Mass Spectrometry Coupled for Multimodal Imaging.” Rapid. Commun. Mass Spectrom, (2013), 27, 1429-1436.
(8) Ovchinnikova, O. S., Kertesz, V., Van Berkel, G. J. Combining Transmission Geometry Laser Ablation and a Non Contact Continuous Flow Surface Sampling Probe/Electrospray Emitter for Mass Spectrometry Based Chemical Imaging. Rapid Comm. Mass Spectrom. (2011) 25, 3735-3740.
(7) Ovchinnikova, O. S., Nikiforov, M., Jesse, S., Bradshaw, J. A. Van Berkel G. J. Combined Atomic Force Microscope-Based Topographical Imaging and Nanometer Scale Resolved Proximal Probe Thermal Desorption/Electrospray Ionization-Mass Spectrometry. ACS Nano (2011), 5, 5526-5531. (Article Featured as Podcast for ACS Nano)
(6) Ovchinnikova, O. S., Kertesz, V., Van Berkel, G. J. Combining Laser Ablation Surface Sampling and Electrospray-Ionization via Liquid Extraction. Anal. Chem. (2011), 83, 1874-1878.
(5) Ovchinnikova, O. S., Kertesz, V., Van Berkel, G. J. Molecular Surface Sampling and Chemical Imaging using Proximal Probe Thermal Desorption/Secondary Ionization Mass Spectrometry. Anal. Chem. (2011), 83, 598-603.
(4) Ovchinnikova, O. S, Van Berkel G. J. Thin Layer Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry Coupled using Proximal Probe Thermal Desorption with Electrospray or Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Ionization. Rapid. Comm. Mass Spectrom. (2010), 24, 1721-1729.
(3) Bradshaw, J. A., Ovchinnikova O. S., Meyer, K. A., Goeringer, D. E. Combined Chemical and Topographic Imaging at Atmospheric Pressure via Microprobe Laser Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry-Atomic Force Microscope. Rapid. Comm. Mass Spectrom. (2009), 23, 3871-3786.
(2) Meyer, K. A., Ovchinnikova, O., Ng, K., Goeringer, D. E. Development of a scanning surface probe for nanoscale tip-enhanced desorption/ablation. Rev. Sci. Instrum. (2008), 79, 123710.
(1) Van Berkel, G. J., Pasilis, S., Ovchinnikova, O. Established and Emerging Surface Sampling/Ionization Techniques for Mass Spectrometry, J. of Mass Spectrom. (2008), 43, 1161-1180. (Invited Tutorial Article Featured on Journal Cover)
Towards Nanoscale Chemical Imaging: The Intersection of Scanning Probe Microscopy and Mass Spectrometry. In Scanning Probe Microscopy of Functional Materials: Nanoscale Imaging and Spectroscopy, 1st Ed. Kalinin, S.V, Gruverman, A. Springer: New York, (2011); pp 181-199.