Biological and Nanoscale Systems
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6445
Phone: (865) 405-4066
Cell: (865) 574-5345
Scott Retterer is a research scientist in the Biological and Nanoscale Systems Group and shares an appointment in the Center for Nanophase Materials Science (CNMS). Scott received his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Illinois at Chicago in 2000 and completed his Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY in August of 2005. Working in close collaboration with scientists at the Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, his research spanned the fields of microfluidics, neuroscience, fetal screening & genetic analysis, and immunology. Scott was a postdoctoral research fellow in the BNSG laboratory from 2005-2006 before being appointed to a joint staff position in the Biosciences and CNMS divisions.
Scott currently works on a variety of projects that connect state of he art nanofabrication and characterization techniques with fundamental biomedical research.
- Influence of nanoscale chemical and biological functionality on cellular and molecular recognition, adhesion, proliferation and differentiation.
- Impact of surface chemistry and nanostructure on chemical transport and biochemical reaction systems
- Understanding the influence of local chemical/biochemical environment on the cascade of events associated with the host response to foreign bodies
- “Microscale and nanoscale compartments for biotechnology,” S.T. Retterer and M.L. Simpson, Curr. Opin. Biotechnol, PMID:22321942
- "Single-and Two-Phase Flow in Microfluidic Porous Media Analogs Based on Voronoi Tessellation," M. J. Wu, F. Xiao, R. M. Johnson-Paben, S. T. Retterer, X. L. Yin, and K. B. Neeves, Lab on a Chip 12 2 (2012)
- "Enzyme Reactions in Nanoporous, Picoliter Volume Containers," P. Siuti, S. T. Retterer, C. K. Choi, and M. J. Doktycz, Analytical Chemistry 84 2 (2012)
- "Quenching of Initial Ac Susceptibility in Single-Domain Ni Nanobars," Z. Gai, X. G. Zhang, I. I. Kravchenko, S. T. Retterer, and J. F. Wendelken, Physical Review B 85 2 (2012)
- "Crossover from Spin-Flop Coupling to Collinear Spin Alignment in Antiferromagnetic/Ferromagnetic Nanostructures," E. Folven, A. Scholl, A. Young, S. T. Retterer, J. E. Boschker, T. Tybell, Y. Takamura, and J. K. Grepstad, Nano Letters 12 5 (2012)
- "Continuous Protein Production in Nanoporous, Picolitre Volume Containers," P. Siuti, S. T. Retterer, and M. J. Doktycz, Lab on a Chip 11 20 (2011)
- "Electric Field Induced Bacterial Flocculation of Enteroaggregative Escherichia Coli 042," A. Kumar, N. P. Mortensen, P. P. Mukherjee, S. T. Retterer, and M. J. Doktycz, Applied Physics Letters 98 25 (2011)
- "Triggering Confined Chemical Reactions by Controlled Fusion of Individual Femtoliter Droplets," S. Y. Jung, C. P. Collier, and S. Retterer, Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society 241 (2011)
- "An Integrated Portable Raman Sensor with Nanofabricated Gold Bowtie Array Substrates for Energetics Detection," N. A. Hatab, C. M. Rouleau, S. T. Retterer, G. Eres, P. B. Hatzinger, and B. H. Gu, Analyst 136 8 (2011)
- "Effects of Nanostructuring and Substrate Symmetry on Antiferromagnetic Domain Structure in Lafeo3 Thin Films," E. Folven, A. Scholl, A. Young, S. T. Retterer, J. E. Boschker, T. Tybell, Y. Takamura, and J. K. Grepstad, Physical Review B 84 22 (2011)
- "Characterization of Cell Surface and Extracellular Matrix Remodeling of Azospirillum Brasilense Chemotaxis-Like 1 Signal Transduction Pathway Mutants by Atomic Force Microscopy," A. N. Edwards, P. Siuti, A. N. Bible, G. Alexandre, S. T. Retterer, M. J. Doktycz, and J. L. Morrell-Falvey, Fems Microbiology Letters 314 2 (2011)
- "Towards the Smallest Chemical Reactors: On-Demand Generation and Fusion of Femtoliter-Volume Aqueous Droplets," P. Collier, S. Y. Jung, and S. Retterer, Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society 241 (2011)
- "High-Resolution Pfpe-Based Molding Techniques for Nanofabrication of High-Pattern Density, Sub-20 Nm Features: A Fundamental Materials Approach," S. S. Williams, S. Retterer, R. Lopez, R. Ruiz, E. T. Samulski, and J. M. DeSimone, Nano Letters 10 4 (2010)
- "Tailored Silicon Nanopost Arrays for Resonant Nanophotonic Ion Production," B. N. Walker, J. A. Stolee, D. L. Pickel, S. T. Retterer, and A. Vertes, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 114 11 (2010)
- "Assessment of Laser-Induced Thermal Load on Silicon Nanostructures Based on Ion Desorption Yields," ---, Applied Physics a-Materials Science & Processing 101 3 (2010)
- "Nanostructured Silicon Membranes for Control of Molecular Transport," B. R. Srijanto, S. T. Retterer, J. D. Fowlkes, and M. J. Doktycz, Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B 28 6 (2010)
- "Evaporation Characteristics of Sessile Droplets on Nano-Patterned Hydrophobic Surfaces," D. H. Shin, S. H. Lee, S. Retterer, and C. K. Choi, Journal of Heat Transfer-Transactions of the Asme 132 8 (2010)
- "The Evaporation and Wetting Dynamics of Sessile Water Droplets on Submicron-Scale Patterned Silicon Hydrophobic Surfaces," D. H. Shin, S. H. Lee, C. K. Choi, and S. Retterer, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 20 5 (2010)
- "Development and Fabrication of Nanoporous Silicon-Based Bioreactors within a Microfluidic Chip," S. T. Retterer, P. Siuti, C. K. Choi, D. K. Thomas, and M. J. Doktycz, Lab on a Chip 10 9 (2010)
- "Interfacial Tension Controlled Fusion of Individual Femtolitre Droplets and Triggering of Confined Chemical Reactions on Demand," S. Y. Jung, S. T. Retterer, and C. P. Collier, Lab on a Chip 10 24 (2010)
- "On-Demand Generation of Monodisperse Femtolitre Droplets by Shape-Induced Shear," ---, Lab on a Chip 10 20 (2010)
- "Free-Standing Optical Gold Bowtie Nanoantenna with Variable Gap Size for Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy," N. A. Hatab, C. H. Hsueh, A. L. Gaddis, S. T. Retterer, J. H. Li, G. Eres, Z. Y. Zhang, and B. H. Gu, Nano Letters 10 12 (2010)
- "Surface Charge- and Space-Dependent Transport of Proteins in Crowded Environments of Nanotailored Posts," C. K. Choi, J. D. Fowlkes, S. T. Retterer, P. Siuti, S. Iyer, and M. J. Doktycz, Acs Nano 4 6 (2010)
- "Cryogenic Etching of Silicon: An Alternative Method for Fabrication of Vertical Microcantilever Master Molds," K. A. Addae-Mensah, S. Retterer, S. R. Opalenik, D. Thomas, N. V. Lavrik, and J. P. Wikswo, Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 19 1 (2010)
- “Impacts of Surface Morphology on Ion Desorption and Ionization in Desorption Ionization on Porous Silicon (DIOS) Mass Spectrometry,” Y. Xiao, S. T. Retterer, D. K. Thomas, J. Tao, and L. He,
J. Phys. Chem. C 113, 3076 (2009).
- “Selective Patterned Growth of Single-Crystal Ag-TCNQ Nanowires for Devices by Vapor-Solid Chemical Reaction,” K. Xiao, J. Tao, A. A. Puretzky, I. N. Ivanov, S. T. Retterer, S. J. Pennycook, and D. B. Geohegan, Adv. Funct. Mater. 18, 3043 (2008).
- “Constant Pressure Fluid Infusion into Rat Neocortex from Implantable Microfluidic Devices,” S. T. Retterer, K. L. Smith, C. S. Bjornsson, J. N. Turner, M. S. Isaacson, and W. Shain, J. Neural Eng., 5, 385 (2008).
- “Positional Control of Catalyst Nanoparticles for the Synthesis of High Density Carbon Nanofiber Arrays,” S. T. Retterer, A. Melechko, D. K. Hensley, M. L. Simpson and M. J. Doktycz, Carbon 46, 1378 (2008).
- “Nanofabricated Periodic Arrays of Silver Elliptical Discs as SERS Substrates,” J. M. Oran, R. J. Hinde, N. Abu Hatab, S. T. Retterer and M. J. Sepaniak, J. Raman Spectrosc. 39, 1811 (2008).
- “Surface Characterization and Functionalization of Carbon Nanofibers,” K. L. Klein, A. V. Melechko, T. E. McKnight, S. T. Retterer, P. D. Rack, J. D. Fowlkes, D. C. Joy and M. L. Simpson, J. Appl. Phys. 103, 061301 (2008).
- “Nanoscale Lithography via Electron Beam Induced Deposition,” Y. F. Guan, J. D. Fowlkes, S. T. Retterer, M. L. Simpson and P. D. Rack, Nanotechnology 19, 505302 (2008).
- “Size-Selectivity and Anomalous Subdiffusion of Nanoparticles Through Carbon Nanofiber-Based Membranes,” J. D. Fowlkes, B. L. Fletcher, S. T. Retterer, A. V. Melechko, M. L. Simpson and M. J. Doktycz, Nanotechnology 19, 415301 (2008).
- “Actuatable Membranes Based on Polypyrrole-Coated Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanofibers,” B. L. Fletcher, S. T. Retterer, T. E. McKnight, A. V. Melechko, J. D. Fowlkes, M. L. Simpson and M. J. Doktycz, Acs Nano 2, 247 (2008).
- “Comparison of the Indentation and Elasticity of E-coli and its Spheroplasts by AFM,” C. J. Sullivan, S. Venkataraman, S. T. Retterer, D. P. Allison and M. J. Doktycz, Ultramicroscopy 107, 934 (2007).
- “Molecular Transport in a Crowded Volume Created from Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanofibres: A Fluorescence Recovery after Photobleaching Study,” J. D. Fowlkes, E. D. Hullander, B. L. Fletcher, S. T. Retterer, A. V. Melechko, D. K. Hensley, M. L. Simpson and M. J. Doktycz, Nanotechnology 17, 5659 (2006).
Patents & Disclosures
- System and Kit for Dispensing Reactive Two Component Materials, G. Hagel, and S. Retterer, U.S. Patent #6,896,001 (2001).
- Volume modified oxide nanoparticles for multifunctional imaging and diagnostics. Wang, W., Gu, B., Retterer, S., Doktycz, M.J., Disclosure Number – 201002390. filed March 16, 2010.
- Method for preparing small volume reaction containers Retterer, S., Doktycz, M.J.,. Disclosure number 201002381, filed March 9, 2010. Elected March 17, 2010
- Generation of Monodisperse Femtoliter Droplets by Shape-Induced Shear, Jung, S.Y., Collier, C.P., Retterer, S.T., Disclosure Number – 201002427, DOE S-115,476. July 2010.
- Methods and Compositions for in vivo sterilization of medical device surfaces. Doktycz, M.J., Retterer, S.T., Barnett, C.F., Allison, D.P., Disclosure Number - 200902324.