Background / Mission[Our past: magnetic fusion]
[Our primary sponsor]
[HTS applications status]
Enabling Technologies for HTS Grid Applications
- For cables: need high critical current with sufficient stabilization
- For transformers, motors, generators: need acceptable critical currents in background fields from about 0.2 T ac to several Tesla dc.
- For all applications, need sufficient mechanical strength (compressive, tensile, fatigue) for cool-down cycles, transients loads, centrifugal loads for generators/motors, etc.
- For cables, transformers and FCLs need acceptable ac losses
- Need to find a way to accommodate cable faults and coil quenching
- Efficiency at the operating temperature, reliability, cost
- Cryogenic Dielectrics
- Hold off operating and transient voltages for lifetime of device