SPI Readiness Reviews
[SPI Readiness Review Program] [FY 2003-2010 Reviews] [Where are the greatest risks (cables)?]
[HV issues on present projects] [2011 Plans] [Nitrogen Dielectric Database]
Where are the greatest risks (cables)?
- Fault Currents
- These are driving cable designs<
- Asymmetric on 1st half cycle - F-max
- Integrated I2 x time: T-max
- Outside limits of experience
- Not able to test fully
- Some divergence allowed Tmax
- Thermal Contraction
- LIPA cable will contract over 20 feet!
- Companies being very creative in solutions
- Philosophy: "solve for now" or "solve forever"?
- Thermal Cryostat
- Damage or installation
- Reliability proportional to 1/length
- Allow for loss of vacuum in 1-2100-m sections??
- Lightning impact
- hits on buswork and adjacent ground strikes
- voltage gradient inner/outer cryostat and exterior strike damage