Postdoctoral Research Associate
PhD Transportation Engineering with minor in Computational Science, The University of Tennessee at Knoxville (2013)
MS Control Science and Engineering, University of Science and Technology of China (2010)
BS Electrical Engineering and Automation, China University of Mining and Technology (2007)
Traffic Simulation and Modeling
High Performance Computing in Traffic Evacuation
Intelligent Transportation Systems
Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
Jan. 2014 – present Postdoctoral Research Associate in Geographic Information Science and Technology (GIST) group in Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)
Jun. 2012 – Dec. 2013 Research Intern at GIST group in ORNL
Nov. 2010 – May 2012 Research Assistant at Intelligent Transportation Systems Lab in UTK
May 2008 – Jun. 2010 Research Assistant at Global Positioning System Lab in USTC
Jun. 2007 – Apr. 2008 Research Assistant at Intelligent Transportation Systems Lab in USTC
Professional Experience & Membership
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Modern Traffic and Transportation Engineering Research
Reviewer, International Journal of ITS Research
Reviewer, IEEE transaction on Vehicular Technology
Reviewer, International Journal of Geographic Information Science
Reviewer, Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture
Reviewer, Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering
Reviewer, 2013 16th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems
Reviewer, 2013 23rd ITS America Annual Meeting
Member, TRB Young Professionals Council
Member, Institute of Transportation Engineering
Associate Member, American Society of Civil Engineers
Member, Association of American Geographers
Refereed Journal Papers
- Wei Lu, Lee D. Han, Cheng Liu, Budhendra L. Bhaduri. "Study of Emergency Evacuation Performance as a Function of Multi-scale Network Configurations and Routing Schemes". Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems. (under review)
- Wei Lu, Lee D. Han, Cheng Liu, Mark A. Tuttle, Budhendra L. Bhaduri. “Evacuee Compliance Behavior Analysis using High Resolution Demographic Information”. Journal of Transport Geography. (under review)
- Wei Lu, Lee D. Han, Cheng Liu. "Evacuation Transportation Modeling Using High Spatiotemporal Resolution Data and Microscopic Simulation". EURO journal on Transportation and Logistics. (under review)
- Wei Lu, Lee D. Han, Christopher R. Cherry. “Evaluation of Vehicular Communication Networks in a Car Sharing System,” International Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems Research, Vol. 11 Issue 3, pp 113-119, 2013.
- Wei Lu, Yuanlv Bao, Hao Bai. “Performance Analysis of Vehicular Communication in the Internet of Vehicles,” Journal of Vehicle Tele-management Technology and Application. Vol. 1 No. 2, 2011.
- Wei Lu, Yuanlv Bao, Hao Bai. “Performance Analysis of Inter-vehicle Communication in a Unidirectional Traffic Flow,” Journal of Computer Engineering. Vol. 37 No. 4, 2011.
Books or Book Chapters
- Wei Lu. (2013) Analysis of Inter-Vehicle Communication Using Network Simulator. ISBN: 978-3-659-50092-3. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing.
- Wei Lu, Lee D. Han. (2014) Analysis of Vehicular Communication Network and Fuel Efficiency in Dynamic Traffic Flow. Editors: Piet Rietveld, Moshe Givoni, Nikolas Thomopoulos. Edward Elgar Publishing. (In press)
Refereed Conference Papers
- Wei Lu, Lee D. Han, Cheng Liu. "Effects of Access Management with High Resolution Data on Network Performance: A Case Study of Evacuation Planning". 2nd International Conference on Access Management. Shanghai, China. September 25-27, 2014. (under the 2nd review)
- Wei Lu, Lee D. Han, Cheng Liu, Kejun Long. "A Multiple-Source-Nearest-Destination Shortest Path Problem in Evacuation Assignments". The 14th COTA International Conference of Transportation Professionals. Changsha, China. July 4-7, 2014. (accepted)
- Wei Lu, Lee D. Han, Cheng Liu, Mark A. Tuttle, Budhendra L. Bhaduri. (2014) “Evacuee Compliance Behavior Analysis using High Resolution Demographic Information,” Proceeding of 93th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C., January 12-16, 2014.
- Wei Lu. (2014) "Effects of Data Resolution and Human Behavior on Large Scale Evacuation Simulations,'' Workshop of Doctoral Student Research in Transportation Operations and Traffic Control, 93th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C., January 12-16, 2014.
- Wei Lu, Lee D. Han, Cheng Liu, Budhendra L. Bhaduri (2014). "Simulation-based Evacuation Planning Using High Resolution Demographic Information," National Evacuation Conference, joint with International Disaster Conference and Expo. New Orleans, LA. January 7-10, 2014.
- Wei Lu, Lee Han, Cheng Liu, Mark Tuttle, Budhendra Bhaduri (2013). “Rapid Traffic Assignment with Agent-based Models and High Resolution Data: A Case Study of Emergency Evacuation Planning,” Proceeding of Conference on Agent-based Modeling in Transportation Planning and Operations, Blacksburg, VA, Sep. 30 – Oct. 2, 2013.
- Wei Lu, Cheng Liu, Mark Tuttle, Budhendra Bhaduri. (2013) “Effects of Population Dynamics on Urban Transportation Systems in Emergency Evacuation,” Poster Session of Eugene P. Wigner Distinguished Lecture Series on Science, Technology, and Policy, Oak Ridge, TN, November 4, 2013.
- Wei Lu, Cheng Liu, Mark Tuttle, Budhendra Bhaduri. (2013) “Agent-based Rapid Traffic Assignment for Emergency Evacuation with High Resolution Data,” Procedding of the 1st Annual ORNL Postdoc Research Symposium, Oak Ridge, TN, July 2013.
- Wei Lu. (2013) “Daily Population Mobility Prediction based on High Resolution Data and High Performance Computing,” Presentation on Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, United States, April 2013.
- Wei Lu, Lee D. Han, Cheng Liu. (2012) “Where Shall We Install ITS Equipment? Emergency Evacuation Assignment based on Advanced Traveler Information Systems,” Poster Presentation on Annual Meeting of ITS Tennessee, October 2012.
- Wei Lu. (2012) “Geographic Data Analysis for Advanced Traffic System with High Performance Computing,” Presentation on University Consortium for Geographic Information Science 2012 Symposium, Washington D.C., May 2012.
- Wei Lu, Lee Han, Christopher Cherry (2011). “Performance Analysis of Vehicular Ad hoc Networks in Taxi Systems,” Proceeding of the 18th Intelligent Transportation Systems World Congress, Orlando, FL, October 2011.
- Xiaoyan Sun, Yuanlu Bao, Wei Lu, Jun Dai and Zhe Wang. (2010) “A study on Performance of Inter-Vehicle Communication in Bidirectional Traffic Streams”, The 2nd International Conference on Future Networks (ICFN2010), Sanya, China, 2010.
- Wei Lu, Yuanlv Bao, Xiaoyan Sun, Zhe Wang. (2009) “Performance Evaluation of Inter-vehicle Communication in a Unidirectional Dynamic Traffic Flow with Shockwave,” International Workshop on Communication Technologies for Vehicles in ICUMT, St.-Petersburg, Russia, 2009.
- Z. Wang, W. Lu, and W. L. Jin. (2009) "A Study on Information Throughput of Inter-vehicle Communications in a Unidirectional Traffic Stream," in WRI International Conference on Communications and Mobile Computing, C. X. Wang and S. Ouyang, Eds. Kunming, PEOPLES R CHINA, 2009, pp. 396-401.
- Xiaoyan Sun, Yuanlu Bao, Jun Dai, Wei Lu. (2009) “Performance Analysis of Inter-vehicle Communication in Multilane Dynamic Traffic Stream”, The First IEEE Vehicular Networking Conference, Tokyo, Japan, 2009.
- Zhenning Wang, Wei Lu, Jun Dai. (2009) "Saving the calculating time of the TCNN with nonchaotic simulated annealing strategy," Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2009. SMC 2009. IEEE International Conference on, pp.5189-5193, 11-14 Oct. 2009
- Wenlong Jin, Zhe Wang, Wei Lu. (2007) “A New Framework for Simulating Inter-vehicle Communication,” Third China Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation, Nanjing, China, 2007.
Honors and Awards
- Graduate Student Travel Award of the University of Tennessee. 2012.
- Travel Award for the four candidate best papers of UCGIS 2012 Symposium, University Consortium for Geographic Information Science. 2012
- The 4th Place in Tennessee Section ITE Student Paper Competition. 2011.
- Excellent Student of National Graduate Summer School on Transportation Engineering in China. 2009.
- Excellent Student Cadre of Graduate Student Union. 2008
- Extraordinary Undergraduate Thesis. 2007
- Honor Graduate of CUMT. 2007
- Extraordinary Scholarship of Outstanding Students. 2004-2006
- Transportation simulation with TRANSIM, VISSIM, MITSIM, and TransCAD
- GIS analysis with ArcGIS 10, QGIS, and TransCAD
- Data analysis with statistical software SAS, JMP, R, and Excel