Olufemi (Femi) A. Omitaomu
Senior Research Scientist
Phone: (865) 241-4310
Fax: (865) 241-6261
Applications of Statistical and Intelligent Techniques to Infrastructure Systems
Energy Systems Modeling and Analysis
Disaster Risk and Decision Analysis
PhD, Industrial and Information Engineering, University of Tennessee (2006).
MSc, Mechanical Engineering, University of Lagos, Nigeria (1999).
BSc, Mechanical Engineering, Lagos State University, Nigeria (1995).
- Oct 2015 – Present, Theme Lead, Urban Resiliency, Urban Dynamic Institute, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- Nov 2014 – Present, Team Lead, Critical Infrastructure Modeling and Climate Impacts, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- Jan 2012 – Present, Senior Research Scientist, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- July 2009 – Dec 2011, Research Scientist, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- Oct 2014 – Present, Joint ORNL-UT Associate Professor, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Jan 2009 – Sept 2014, Adjunct Faculty, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Oct 2006 – July 2009, Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
- Feb 2006 – Sep. 2006, Post-Doctoral Fellow, Advanced Optimization Lab, McMaster University, Hamilton ON, Canada.
- Jan 2001– May 2006, Research Associate/Instructor, University of Tennessee, Department of Industrial and Information Engineering.
- 1995 – Jan 2001, Project Engineer, Exxon-Mobil Facilities in Nigeria.
- Exceptional Mentoring, Research Alliance in Math and Science, 2010 Summer Internship
- Engineering R&D Team Award, UT-Battelle, November 2009.
- ORNL Significant Event Award, August 2008
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining application in critical infrastructure modeling, energy systems modeling and analysis, disaster preparedness and emergency response.
Selected Recent Publications
Olufemi A. Omitaomu, Alex Sorokine, and Varun Chandola (2015). Virtualization of the Evolving Power Grid. IEEE Smart Grid Newsletter Compendium 2015 – Smart Grid: The Next Decade, September, (1 of 32 (out of some 215 articles) “best of the best” insightful articles from the IEEE Smart Grid Newsletter).
Olufemi A. Omitaomu, Xueping Li, and Shengchao Zhou (2015). Optimization Based Data Mining Approach for Forecasting Energy Demand. Proceedings of the 2015 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, May 30-June2, Nashville, Tennessee, USA (Won the 2015 ISERC Best Track Paper Award in Modeling and Simulation).
C. Tao, Y. Ge., Q. Song, Y. Ge, and Olufemi A. Omitaomu (2014). Metric Ranking of Invariant Networks with Belief Propagation. 2014 IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2014), 1001-1006.
M.R. Allen, S.J. Fernandez, Olufemi A. Omitaomu, K.A. Walker (2014). Application of Hybrid Geo-Spatially Granular Fragility Curves to Improve Power Outage Predictions. Journal of Geography and Natural Disasters, 4(127): 2167-0587.
Behailu B. Bekera, Royce A. Francis, and Olufemi A. Omitaomu (2014). Drought Risk Modeling for Thermoelectric Power Plants Siting using an Excess over Threshold Approach. International Journal of System of Systems Engineering, 5(1), 25-44.
Olufemi A. Omitaomu, Steven J. Fernandez, and Budhendra L. Bhaduri (2013). Framework for Real-time, All-Hazards Global Situational Awareness. In Adedeji B. Badiru and Lee Ann Racz (Eds.), Handbook of Emergency Response: A Human Factors and Systems Engineering Approach, CRC Press.
Varun Chandola, Olufemi A. Omitaomu, and Steven J. Fernandez (2012). Data Analysis for Real Time Identification of Grid Disruptions. In Ting Yu, Nitesh Chawla, and Simeon Simoff (Eds.), Computational Intelligent Data Analysis for Sustainable Development. Taylor & Francis, London, UK.
Olufemi A. Omitaomu, Budhendra L. Bhaduri, Christopher S. Maness, Jeffrey B. Kodysh, and Amanda M. Noranzyk (2012). CoNNECT: Data Analytics for Energy Efficient Communities. Proceedings of 2012 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November 9-15, Houston, Texas, USA.
Olufemi A. Omitaomu, Jeffrey B. Kodysh, and Budhendra L. Bhaduri (2012). Modeling and Analysis of Solar Radiation Potentials on Building Rooftops. Proceedings of 2012 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November 9-15, Houston, Texas, USA.
Olufemi A. Omitaomu, Kyle L. Spafford, and Steven J. Fernandez (2012). A GPU-based Real-time Event Detection Framework for Power System Frequency Data Streams. Proceedings for Modeling, Simulation and Optimization for the 21st Century Electric Power Grid. October 21-25, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, USA.
Olufemi A. Omitaomu, Alex Sorokine, and Varun Chandola (2012). Virtualization of the Evolving Power Grid. IEEE Smart Grid Newsletter, June.
Olufemi A. Omitaomu, Vladimir A. Protopopescu, and Auroop R. Ganguly (2011). Empirical Mode Decomposition Technique with Conditional Mutual Information for Denoising Operational Sensor Data. IEEE Sensors Journal, 11(10): 2565-2575.
Young-Seon Jeong, Myong K. Jeong, and Olufemi A. Omitaomu (2011). Weighted Dynamic Time Warping for Time Series Classification. Pattern Recognition, 44(9): 2231-2240.
Olufemi A. Omitaomu, Myong K. Jeong, and Adedeji B. Badiru (2011). On-line Support Vector Regression with Varying Parameters for Time-Dependent Data. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Part A – Systems and Humans, 41(1): 191-197.
Yi Fang, Olufemi A. Omitaomu, and Auroop R. Ganguly (2010). Incremental Anomaly Detection Approach for Characterizing Unusual Profiles. Knowledge Discovery from Sensor Data Series, LNCS 5840: 190-202.
Omitaomu, O.A., Ganguly, A.R., Patton, B.W., & Protopopescu, V.A. (2009). Anomaly detection in radiation sensor data with application to transportation security. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 10(2): 324-334.
Fernandez S.J., Rose, A.N., Bright, E.A., & Omitaomu, O.A. (2009). LandScan data sets for automating simulation set-up while accommodating multiple approaches within a flexible simulation platform. Presented at the Human Behavior-Computational Intelligence Modeling Conference, Oak Ridge, TN, June 23 - 24.
Ganguly, A.R., Gama,J., Omitaomu, O.A., Gaber, M.M., & Vatsavai, R.R. (2009). Knowledge Discovery from Sensor Data. New York, NY: CRC Press, January.
Ganguly, A.R., Omitaomu, O.A., & Walker, R.M. (2007). Knowledge discovery from sensor data for security applications. In: Gaber, M. and J. Gama (eds.), Learning from Data Streams – Processing Techniques in Sensor Networks: pp. 187-204, Springer-Verlag.
Ganguly, A.R., Fang, Y., Khan, S. & Omitaomu, O.A. (2007). Knowledge discovery from sensor data for scientific applications. In: Gaber, M. and J. Gama (eds.), Learning from Data Streams – Processing Techniques in Sensor Networks: pp. 205-229, Springer-Verlag.