Boeing and ORNL launch pilot training program in additive manufacturing

Mike Hayes from Boeing discusses polymer additive manufacturing to kick off the first training session.

A team of ten Boeing technical experts converged at the Department of Energy’s Manufacturing Demonstration Facility at ORNL for a week-long pilot training program focused on additive manufacturing. The MDF will function as a portal for hands-on specialized technical training and provide industry-specific expertise to fulfill immediate needs and complement joint projects. The collaborative will enable ORNL to gain valuable knowledge and insights into current industry needs and challenges, while serving as a repository to advance state-of-the-art technologies and revolutionize how products are designed and built.

The 40-hour training program, which is a joint effort with significant investments from Boeing, consists of 80 percent general additive manufacturing technology and best practices, while the other 20 percent focuses on Boeing’s particular needs. It is anticipated that as the program grows it will benefit industry as a whole, as additive manufacturing technology moves into mainstream production supporting the creation of high-quality domestic manufacturing jobs and enhancing the competitiveness of the United States.

Attendees listen as Craig Blue, MDF director, offers overview of ORNL and the MDF during classroom discussions.

The pilot program marks another important step at the MDF by Boeing, which currently has staff located at the facility and is exploring new opportunities for collaborations.

The MDF provides industry with affordable and convenient access to facilities, tools and expertise to facilitate rapid deployment of advanced manufacturing technologies. Drawing on close ties with industry and world-leading capabilities in materials development, characterization, and processing, ORNL is creating an unmatched environment for breakthroughs in additive manufacturing.

IMAGE GALLERY