Development and characterization of ceramics, composites, graphite, and other advanced materials for high temperature and severe environment applications; neutron and high energy particle irradiation effects in metals, alloys and ceramics, emphasis on irradiation effects on properties and microstructures of silicon carbide ceramics and composites; influence of helium production on irradiation effects in metals and ceramics at elevated temperatures.
- PhD, MS, BS in Materials Science from University of Tokyo, Japan, 1994, 1991, 1988.
- 8/2003 – present. Research Staff Member – Materials Science and Technology Division (formerly Metals and Ceramics Division), Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, USA.
- 11/1996 – 7/2003: Associate Professor, Institute of Advanced Energy, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan; Associate Professor, concurrently, Graduate School of Energy Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
- 3/1995 – 10/1996: Research Associate, Research Operations Division, National Institute for Fusion Science, Toki, Japan
- Co-supervised ~20 PhD students and numerous MS students and gave courses on energy-related materials science and engineering at the Graduate School of Energy Science, Kyoto University, Japan, 1996-2003.
Honors and Awards:
- Fusion Power Associates Board of Directors' Excellence in Fusion Engineering Award, 2006, for his outstanding scientific contributions and leadership role in the development of new, attractive silicon carbide composites for potential use in fusion power plants of the future.
- Invited participation to international conferences and symposia at numerous occasions.
Major Professional Activities:
- Chair, IEA Fusion Materials Agreement Working Group on SiC/SiC Ceramic Composites for Fusion Energy Applications
- Chair, ASTM International Subcommittee C28.07 on Ceramic Matrix Composites
- Member, ASME Codes and Standards Committee, Subgroup on Graphite Core Components (SC III)
- Member, The American Ceramic Society, American Nuclear Society, ASTM International
- 13 patents published (domestic and PCT). Mostly related to processing of silicon carbide-based ceramic composites.
Recent Conference Organization:
- Organizer, Symposium on Advanced Ceramics and Composites for Nuclear and Fusion Applications, 35th International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, January 23-28, 2011, Daytona Beach, Florida.
- Scientific Committee member, 7th International Conference on High Temperature Ceramic Matrix Composites, September 20-22, 2010, Bayreuth, Germany.
- International Advisory Committee member, CIMTEC 2010, 5th Forum on New Materials, June 13-18, 2010, Montecatini Terme, Italy.
- International Program Committee member, 14th International Conference on Fusion Reactor Materials, September 6-11, 2009, Sapporo, Japan.
- Co-organizer, Symposium on Processing, Properties and Performance of Engineering -Ceramics and Composites, the 32nd International Conference & Exposition on Advanced Ceramics & Composites, January 21-26, 2007, Daytona Beach, Florida.
- Co-organizer, Symposium on Processing, Properties and Performance of Engineering Ceramics and Composites, the 31st International Conference & Exposition on Advanced Ceramics & Composites, January 21-26, 2007, Daytona Beach, Florida.
- Co-organizer, Symposium on Ceramics in Nuclear and Alternative Energy Applications, the 30th International Conference & Exposition on Advanced Ceramics & Composites, January 22-27, 2006, Cocoa Beach, Florida.
- Co-organizer, 2nd JSME/ASME International Conference on Materials and Processing, June 19-22, 2005, Seattle, Washington.
- Co-organizer, The 11th International Conference on Fusion Reactor Materials, December 7-12, 2003, Kyoto, Japan.