- Theoretical and experimental investigation of radiation effects in materials, including: primary damage formation in irradiated materials, radiation-induced embrittlement in fission reactor pressure vessel steels; influence of radiation on ac and dc electrical properties of ceramic insulators; microstructural evolution and helium effects in fast neutron irradiated materials; thermal and fast reactor fuel performance.
- Ph.D., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1987
- M.S., University of Wisconsin, 1979
- B.S., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1978
- 1984 - present Research Staff, Nuclear Materials Science & Technology Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
- 2000 - present, Adjunct Professor, University of Michigan, Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences.
- 2001 and 2004 Temporary assignments, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, U.S. Department of Energy, Germantown, MD
- 1997 Invited foreign research appointment, Materials Science and Engineering Department Japanese Atomic Energy Research Institute, Tokai, JAPA
- 1994 Visiting scientist with Materials Performance Department, Harwell Laboratory: AEA Technology, Harwell, UK
- 1990-1991 Visiting Researcher, Department of Chemical and Nuclear Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, (ORNL sabbatical)
- 1980-1981 Research associate and research assistant, Department of Chemical and Nuclear Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
- 1979-1980 Engineering staff, Advanced Reactor Systems Department, General Electric Co., Sunnyvale, CA
Honors and Awards:
- 2009 Fellow of American Nuclear Society
- 2007 Fellow of ASM International
- 1995 Fellow of ASTM
- 1995 ASTM Award of Merit
- 1995 Microscopy Society of America, Best Poster in Physical Sciences
- 1990 ASTM Award of Appreciation
- 1990 U.S. DOE Materials Science Research Competition Award
- 1988 ASTM Award of Appreciation
- 1982-1984 U.S. DOE Magnetic Fusion Energy Fellow
- Tau Beta Pi
Major Professional Activities:
- Chairman: Ad hoc Program Planning Committee for Theory and Modeling, Office of Fusion Energy Sciences, U.S. DOE (1998–1999).
- Invited member of International Task Force on Redefinition of Basic Damage Parameters for Materials Under Irradiation, Nuclear Energy Agency of the Organization for Economic Cooperation Development (1998–1999).
- Member, International Group on Radiation Damage Mechanisms in Reactor Pressure Vessel Steels, 1991–present, Technical Area for Environmental and Metallurgical Variables, Co-coordinator (2009).
- General Chairman, 15th ANS Topical Meeting on Technology of Fusion Energy (2002).
- Editor, 12th International Conference of Fusion Reactor Materials (2005).
- Co-editor, 9th International Conference of Fusion Reactor Materials (1999).
- Co-editor, 5th International Conference of Fusion Reactor Materials (1991).
- General Chairman and editor of proceedings, 15th ASTM International Symposium on the Effects of Radiation on Materials (1990).
- Co-Chairman and editor of proceedings, 14th ASTM International Symposium on the Effects of Radiation on Materials (1988).
- Member, ASM International (1986–present).
- Member, American Nuclear Society (1976–present)
- Fusion Energy Division Executive Committee, 2001–09, Vice chairman, 2007, Chairman, 2008
- Member, American Society of Testing and Materials (1987–present)
- Board of Directors, Chairman (2010), Vice-Chairman (2008-09), Chairman of Finance and Audit Committee (2007), Director 2004–06
- Chairman, Committee E10 on Nuclear Technology and Applications, 2001–2007
- Chairman, Subcommittee E10.08 on Neutron Radiation Damage Simulation, 1990–present
- Member, Standing Committee on Publications, 1993–2003; Chairman, 2002–2003