Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania (1985): Physical metallurgy and mechanical behavior
Easo P. George received his B.Tech. with Distinction in Metallurgical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (Kanpur) in 1981 and Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania in 1985. After brief stints as Post-Doctoral Fellow at the University of Pennsylvania and Research Engineer at Southwest Research Institute he joined the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in 1987 where he currently heads the Alloying Behavior and Design Group. In 2002 he became a Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Tennessee as part of the ORNL-UT joint faculty agreement. Among the other positions that he has held are Visiting Scholar at the Ruhr University in Bochum, Germany (2001, 2002) and Visiting Scientist at the National Research Institute for Metals in Tsukuba, Japan (1995, 1997, 1999).
Small-scale mechanical behavior of crystalline and amorphous materials
Refractory and precious metals for space power applications
Mechanical behavior at extremes of temperature and strain rate
Environmental effects on microstructure and mechanical properties
Selected Awards & Honors:
- 2008, Outstanding Symposium Paper Award, Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, Boston, MA.
- 2004, Best Poster Award, Symposium S: Integrative and Interdisciplinary Aspects of Intermetallics, Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, Boston, MA.
- 1995, NRIM Fellowship, Science and Technology Agency, Japan
- 1995, Beuhler Best Paper Award, Materials Characterization journal
- 1998, Sustained Outstanding Research Award, U. S. Department of Energy
- 1999, NASA Group Achievement Award for the Cassini RTG Team
- 1999, ASM Fellow
- 2000, Humboldt Prize, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany
- 2005, Ribbon Award for Outstanding Paper, Materials Research Society
- Editorial Board Member, Materials Characterization journal (2008-present)
- Panelist, U.S. Department of Energy Workshop on Basic Research Needs for Materials Under Extreme Environments (2007)
- Editorial Board Member, Research Letters in Materials Science (2007-present)
- Member, U. S. Civilian Research and Development Foundation Panel to review regional experimental support centers in the former Soviet Union (2003)
- Advisory Board Member, National Science Foundation/Alabama EPSCoR Program “Smart Materials for Transport Control,” (1995-1999)
- Editorial Board Member, Intermetallics (1998-present)
- Adjunct Professor of Materials Science, Auburn University (1997-present)
Selected Recent Publications:
- H. Bei, Z. P. Lu, and E. P. George, Theoretical Strength and the Onset of Plasticity in Bulk Metallic Glasses Investigated by Nanoindentation with a Spherical Indenter, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93 (12) 125504 (2004).
- H. Bei and E. P. George, Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Directionally Solidified NiAl-Mo Eutectic Alloys, Acta Mater. 53 (1) (2005) 69-77.
- H. Bei, E. P. George, J. L. Hay, and G. M. Pharr, Influence of Indenter Tip Geometry on Elastic Deformation During Nanoindentation, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95 (4) 045501 (2005).
- H. Bei, S. Xie, and E. P. George, Softening Caused by Profuse Shear Banding in a Bulk Metallic Glass, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96 (2006) 105503.
- H. Bei, S. Shim, E. P. George, M. K. Miller, E. Herbert, and G. M. Pharr, Compressive Strengths of Molybdenum Alloy Micro-Pillars Prepared Using a New Technique, Scripta Mater. 57, 397-400 (2007).
- H. Bei, Y. F. Gao, S. Shim, E. P. George, and G. M. Pharr, Strength Differences Arising from Homogeneous Versus Heterogeneous Dislocation Nucleation, Phys. Rev. B. 77 060103(R) (2008).
- S. Xie and E. P. George, Size-Dependent Plasticity and Fracture of a Metallic Glass in Compression, Intermetallics 16 (3), 485-489 (2008).
- H. Bei, R. I. Barabash, G. E. Ice, W. Liu, J. Tischler, and E. P. George, Spatially-Resolved Strain Measurements in Mo-Alloy Micro-Pillars by Differential Aperture X-ray Microscopy, Appl. Phys. Lett. 93, 071904 (2008).
- S. Shim, H. Bei, E. P. George, and G. M. Pharr, A Different Type of Indentation Size Effect, Scripta Mater. 59 (10) 1095-1098 (2008).
- H. Bei, S. Shim, G. M. Pharr, and E. P. George, Effects of Pre-Strain on the Compressive Stress-Strain Response of Mo-Alloy Single Crystal Micro-pillars, Acta Mater. 56 (17) 4762-4770 (2008).