ORNL Awards Night 2009
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY -
Early Career Award for Engineering Accomplishment
- Winner: Claus Daniel
- Citation: For catalyzing, through technical insights, strategic vision, and team building, research at ORNL in energy storage and for laying the groundwork for substantial funding increases by articulating specialized
and unique battery research and development.
- Winners: David G. Mandrus, Andrew D. Christianson*, Olivier A. Delaire*, Mao-Hua Du, Mark D. Lumsden*, Michael A. McGuire, Stephen E. Nagler*, Brian C. Sales, Athena Safa-Sefat, David J. Singh
*Neutron Scattering Science Division
- Citation: For moving quickly, comprehensively, and expertly to study the properties of a new family of high-temperature superconductors (layered FeAs) and, in so doing, establishing a clear world leadership position for ORNL
- Winner: Gerard M. Ludtka
- Citation: For visionary and pioneering work demonstrating thermomagnetic processing as a new and enabling synthesis, catalysis, and processing approach to customize microstructure and properties at the atomistic- through- macroscopic scales
LABORATORY OPERATIONS -
- Winner: Ann R. Strange
- Citation: For expert contributions to the preparation of a successful $19 million BES proposal, for organizing five international meetings, and for exemplary support of the nation's largest BES-supported materials theory program.