Human Genome Project Publications
The Department of Energy (DOE) has sponsored
the publication of numerous documents about the Human Genome Project. These publications are available online only.
Several other entities also have published documents about the project, many of which are included here.
Human Genome News (HGN) was the newsletter of the U.S. Human Genome Project from 1989 to 2002. HGN was intended to facilitate communication among genome researchers and to inform persons interested in genome research.
Contractor-Grantee Workshop Proceedings
DOE Human Genome Program Reports
Of special interest to the general public, particularly students and educators.
- Exploring Genetics Issues Relevant to Minority Communities (August 2003). Two-page brochure as a pdf file.
- Bloodlines: Technology Hits Home A PBS documentary with partial funding from the Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues of the U.S. Department of Energy Human Genome Program. (June 2003). [http://www.pbs.org/bloodlines/]
- DOE Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues Abstracts Booklets
- Your Genes, Your Choices (1997) available from AAAS [http://ehrweb.aaas.org/ehr/books/index.html] and mirrored here. Describes the Human Genome Project, the science behind it, and the ethical, legal, and social issues that are raised by the project.
- Exploring the Impact of Genetic Research on Minorities: DOE and Zeta Phi Beta sorority's National Educational Foundation--article excerpted from Human Genome News (November 2001)
- Challenges and Impact of Human Genome Research for Minority Communities Conference Proceedings (July 2000)
- Pathways and Barriers to Genetic Testing and Screening: Molecular Genetics Meets the High-Risk Family --report by Troy Duster (University of California) and Diane Beeson (California State University, Hayward) (October 1997)
- ELSI Bibliography (publications prior to 1995)
Genetics in the Courtroom
- The Human Genome Project: What a Legal Assistant Needs to Know an article from the Journal for Legal Assistants (August 2000).
- Judicature: Genes and Justice --entire issue. Nov-Dec. 1999.
- Bridging the Gap Between Life Insurer and Consumer in the Genetic Testing Era: The RF Proposal, reprinted with permission of the Indiana Law Journal 74(4) Fall 1999. By Christopher M. Keefer, J.D. Candidate, 1999, Indiana University School of Law-Bloomington;
B.B.A., 1996, University of Notre Dame
- The Judges' Journal of the American Bar Association's "Genetics in the Courtroom" issue, Summer 1997, Vol. 36:3
- Public Sector Genetic Services in Florida and Georgia: Current Status and Potential Issues Raised by the Human Genome Project by Ralph W. Trottier, Ph.D., J.D. and Lee A. Crandall, Ph.D. A Final Report from"The Impact of HGI Derived Technologies on Genetic Testing, Screening and Counseling: Cultural, Ethical and Legal Issues" (July 1996).
- Genetic Privacy Act Report written in 1995 by George Annas of the Boston University School of Public Health to assist legislators.