Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy Human Genome Program
Human Genome News, Nov. 1994; 6(4):2
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
- CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL OF PHILADELPHIA (CHOP)
- (NIH, established 1991)
- BEVERLY S. EMANUEL, Director
- Kurt Fischbeck, Associate Director (Univ. of Penna. School of Med.)
- CONTACT: Emanuel (215/590-3856, Fax: -3764, email@example.com); CHOP; 34th St. & Civic Center Blvd.; Philadelphia, PA 19104.
- OTHER KEY RESEARCHERS
- Callum Bell
- Jaclyn Biegel
- Marcia Budarf
- Kenneth Buetow (Fox Chase Cancer Center)
- Chris Overton (Univ. of Penna. School of Med.)
- Eric Rappaport
- Bruce Roe (Univ. of Okla.)
- David Searls (Univ. of Penna. School of Med.)
- Saul Surrey
- Construction of high-resolution genetic and physical maps of chromosome 22 in yeast artificial chromosomes and cosmids.
- Production of a "sequence-ready" contig of the euchromatic portion of chromosome 22.
- Sequencing of 25 Mb of chromosome 22 to produce a "sequence-read" map from the "sequence-ready" map.
- Construction of a chromosome 22 framework map based on 20 short tandem repeat polymorphisms.
- Regional assignment of over 300 anchor markers on a regional mapping panel (25 bins).
- Construction of 15 yeast artificial chromosome contigs covering at least 70% of the chromosome.
- Over 250 sequence tagged sites screened to identify almost 700 yeast artificial chromosomes. Contigs contain as many as 78 sequence tagged sites.
- Production of clones and markers, including (1) construction of a 1.2ö coverage yeast artificial chromosome library from a chromosome 22-only somatic cell hybrid; (2) over 200 sequence tagged sites, 48 CA+TG repeat clones, and 70 Not I junction clones; and (3) creation of a normalized human liver cDNA library.
- Construction of a 100-member radiation hybrid panel (characterized by fluorescence in situ hybridization) and 5 somatic cell hybrids from cell lines with chromosome 22 deletions or translocations. Banking of cell lines with chromosome 22 abnormalities.
- Development of informatics capabilities, including (1) enhancement of existing Sybase to Quintus Prolog interface to support transparent access of all Sybase data types from Prolog; (2) creation of tool for visualizing DNA sequence features in short sequencing runs; and (3) development of Postscript tool for generating publication-quality depictions of cytogenetic maps.
- 477 human chromosome 22 sequence tagged sites from ftp site [cbil.humgen.upenn.edu (type: cdpub/22)]).
- Somatic cell hybrid regional mapping panel and radiation hybrid panel.
- Cell lines from patients with chromosome 22 abnormalities.
- Center-developed software.
- Yeast artificial chromosome and cosmid screening resource service for chromosome 22 sequence tagged sites and probes.
- Arrayed chromosome 22 cosmid library.
- Total human yeast artificial chromosome libraries (Centre d'Etude du Polymorphisme Humain).
Return to Table of Contents
The electronic form of the newsletter may be cited in the following style:
Human Genome Program, U.S. Department of Energy, Human Genome News (v6n4).