Recent Publications (past 5 years)
Full Publication list is here.
- M. Ochi, R. Arita, N. Trivedi, and S. Okamoto,
“Strain-induced topological transition in SrRu2O6 and CaOs2O6,”
Phys. Rev. B 93, 195149 (2016).
- S. Okamoto,
“Spin injection and spin transport in paramagnetic insulators,”
Phys. Rev. B 93, 064421 (2016). This paper was selected as an Editors' Suggestion.
- S. Calder, L. Li, S. Okamoto, Y. Choi, R. Mukherjee, D. Haskel, and D. Mandrus,
“Spin-orbit driven magnetic insulating state with Jeff=1/2 character in a 4d oxide,”
Phys. Rev. B 92, 180413(R) (2015). This paper was selected as an Editors' Suggestion.
- H. Dixit, J. H. Lee, J. T. Krogel, S. Okamoto, and V. R. Cooper,
“Stabilization of weak ferromagnetism by strong magnetic response to epitaxial strain in multiferroic BiFeO3,”
Sci. Rep. 5, 12969 (2015).
- N. Sivadas, M. W. Daniels, R. H. Swendsen, S. Okamoto, and D. Xiao,
“Magnetic ground state of semiconducting transition metal trichalcogenide monolayers,”
Phys. Rev. B 91, 235425 (2015).
- J. H. You, J. H. Lee, S. Okamoto, V. Cooper, and H. N. Lee,
“Strain effects on the electronic properties in δ-doped oxide superlattices,”
J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 48, 085303 (2015).
- D. W. Jeong, W. S. Choi, S. Okamoto, J.-Y. Kim, K. W. Kim, S. J. Moon, D.-Y. Cho, H. N. Lee, and T. W. Noh,
“Dimensionality Control of d-orbital Occupation in Oxide Superlattices,”
Sci. Rep. 4, 6124 (2014).
- V. R. Cooper, S. S. A. Seo, S. Lee, J. S. Kim, W. S. Choi, S. Okamoto, H.-N. Lee,
“Transparent conducting oxides: A δ-doped superlattice approach,”
Sci. Rep. 4, 6021 (2014).
- F. A. Cuellar, Y. H. Liu, J. Salafranca, N. Nemes, E. Iborra, G. Sanchez-Santolino, M. Varela, M. Garcia Hernandez,
J. W. Freeland, M. Zhernenkov, M. R. Fitzsimmons, S. Okamoto, S. J. Pennycook, M. Bibes, A. Barthélémy,
S. G. E. te Velthuis, Z. Sefrioui, C. Leon, and J. Santamaria,
“Reversible electric-field control of magnetization at oxide interfaces,”
Nat. Commun. 5, 4215 (2014).
- M. Sekino, S. Okamoto, W. Koshibae, M. Mori, S. Maekawa,
“Temperature Dependence of Thermopower in Strongly Correlated Multiorbital Systems,”
Proceedings of the International Conference on Strongly Correlated Electron Systems (SCES2013)
[JPS Conf. Proc. 3, 017014 (2014)].
- S. Okamoto, W. Zhu, Y. Nomura, R. Arita, D. Xiao, and N. Nagaosa,
“Correlation effects in (111) bilayers of perovskite transition-metal oxides,”
Phys. Rev. B 89, 195121 (2014).
- S. Calder, G.-X. Cao, S. Okamoto, J. W. Kim, V. R. Cooper, Z. Gai, B. C. Sales, M. D. Lumsden, D. Mandrus, and A. D. Christianson,
“Jeff=1/2 Mott spin-orbit insulating state close to the cubic limit in Ca4IrO6,”
Phys. Rev. B 89, 081104(R) (2014).
- C. Mitra, R. S. Fishman, S. Okamoto, H.-N. Lee, and F. A. Reboredo,
“Ground-state and spin-wave dynamics in Brownmillerite SrCoO2.5—a combined hybrid functional and LSDA+U study,”
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 26, 036004 (2014).
- Q. Li, G.-X. Cao, S. Okamoto, J. Yi, W. Lin, B. C. Sales, J. Yan, R. Arita, J. Kuneš, A. V. Kozhevnikov, A. G. Eguiluz, M. Imada, Z. Gai, M. Pan, D. G. Mandrus,
“Microscopic and Spectroscopic Evidence for a Slater Metal-Insulator Transition in Sr2IrO4,”
Sci. Rep. 3, 3073 (2013).
- D. Yi, J. Liu, S. Okamoto, S. Jagannatha, Y.-C. Chen, P. Yu, Y.-H. Chu, E. Arenholz, and R. Ramesh,
“Tuning the Competition between Ferromagnetism and Antiferromagnetism in a Half-Doped Manganite through Magnetoelectric Coupling,”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 127601 (2013). This paper was selected as an Editors' Suggestion.
- E. Sakai, M. Tamamitsu, K. Yoshimatsu, S. Okamoto, K. Horiba, M. Oshima, and H. Kumigashira,
“Gradual localization of Ni 3d states in LaNiO3 ultrathin films induced by dimensional crossover,”
Phys. Rev. B 87, 075132 (2013).
- S. Okamoto,
“Global phase diagram of a doped Kitaev-Heisenberg model,”
Phys. Rev. B 87, 064508 (2013).
- E. Assmann, P. Blaha, R. Laskowski, K. Held, S. Okamoto, and G. Sangiovanni,
“Oxide Heterostructures for Efficient Solar Cells,”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 078701 (2013).
This paper is spotlighted as a Synopsis in Physics:
Building Better Solar Cells, Layer by Layer
- S. Okamoto,
“Doped Mott insulators in (111) bilayers of perovskite transition-metal oxides with the strong spin-orbit coupling,”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 066403 (2013).
- S. Okamoto and N. Furukawa,
“Spontaneous fourfold-symmetry breaking driven by electron-lattice coupling and strong correlations in high-Tc cuprates,”
Phys. Rev. B 86, 094522 (2012).
- S. Okamoto,
in Multifunctional Oxide Heterostructures,
Eds. E. Y. Tsymbal, E. R. A. Dagotto, C.-B. Eom, and R. Ramesh (Oxford University Press, 2012), p.214-253, ISBN: 978-0-19-958412-3.
- D. Xiao, W. Zhu, Y. Ran, N. Nagaosa, and S. Okamoto,
“Interface engineering of quantum Hall effects in digital transition-metal oxide heterostructures,”
Nat. Commun. 2, 596 (2011).
- S. Okamoto,
“Anomalous mass enhancement in strongly correlated quantum wells,”
Phys. Rev. B 84, 201305(R) (2011).
- K.-Y. Yang, W. Zhu, D. Xiao, S. Okamoto, Z. Wang, and Y. Ran,
“Possible interaction driven topological phases in (111) bilayers of LaNiO3,”
Phys. Rev. B 84, 201104(R) (2011).
- M. Matsuo, S. Okamoto, W. Koshibae, M. Mori, and S. Maekawa,
“Non-monotonic temperature dependence of thermopower in strongly correlated electron systems,”
Phys. Rev. B 84, 153107 (2011).
- C.-W. Lee, R. K. Behera, S. Okamoto, R. Devanathan, E. D. Wachsman, S. R. Phillpot, and S. B. Sinnott,
“Stabilization Mechanisms of LaFeO3 (010) Surfaces Determined with First Principles Calculations,”
J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 94  1931-1939 (2011).
- J. Liu, S. Okamoto, M. van Veenendaal, M. Kareev, B. Gray, P. Ryan, J. W. Freeland, and J. Chakhalian,
“Quantum confinement of Mott electrons in ultrathin LaNiO3/LaAlO3 superlattices,”
Phys. Rev. B 83, 161102(R) (2011). This paper was selected as an Editors' Suggestion.
- F. Y. Bruno, J. Garcia-Barriocanal, M. Varela. N. M. Nemes, P. Thakur, J. C. Cezar, N. B. Brookes, A. Rivera-Calzada, M. Garcia-Hernandez,
C. Leon, S. Okamoto, S. J. Pennycook, J. Santamaria,
“Electronic and Magnetic Reconstructions in La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3 Heterostructures:
A Case of Enhanced Interlayer Coupling Controlled by the Interface,”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 147205 (2011).